Team “Beat It” Raises over $2,500 in Support of Breast Cancer
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and a strong Altec team came together for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K hosted by The American Cancer Society in Costa Mesa, CA. Many of the Altec team fundraised and showed up to walk and support our own Linda Turner, Altec Business Development Manager who has led team “Beat It” for several years. As an 8-year breast cancer survivor, Linda is an amazing example of perseverance and strength, and this team is one of the ways she gives back to help others who are fighting this disease. Team “Beat It” raised over $2500, including a donation from Altec through their #AltecGives program.
Breast cancer statistics are staggering – odds are all of us know at least one person struggling with breast cancer (from breastcancer.org):
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2018, an estimated 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 63,960 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
- As of January 2018, there are more than 3.1 million women with a history of breast cancer in the U.S. This includes women currently being treated and women who have finished treatment.
- Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women.
- About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer. These occur due to genetic mutations that happen as a result of the aging process and life in general, rather than inherited mutations.
The good news is that breast cancer mortality has decreased by 39 percent (avoiding more than 320,000 deaths) from 1989-2015 due to improved breast cancer treatment and early detection. Events like the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks raise awareness and funds to save lives from breast cancer, supporting innovative research, providing free information and support, and helping people reduce their breast cancer risk or find it early when it’s most treatable.
Altec proudly supports Linda and her team in making this important topic a priority. If you would like to make a donation to support team Beat It, click here.