Celebrate Earth Day While Sheltering in Place
Today marks the 50th official celebration of Earth Day, which was founded as a day of education about environmental issues. As a document management company, our business naturally supports the movement to “go green” with a focus on helping companies make a digital transformation by going paperless. But we know it takes more than just getting rid of paper, and we are always looking for ways to support environmental issues.
With the current Stay-at-Home orders in place, we cannot gather together to celebrate. But there are many things we can do at home to support our planet.
Last week The Earth Institute at Columbia University posted an excellent article detailing how we all can celebrate while sheltering in place, including:
- Take action online by joining Earth Day Live, a 3-day livestream, or join a local digital event.
- Speak up and spread the word to your friends and family by joining or starting a donation drive for COVID-19 relief.
- Clean up your own neighborhood – simply taking a walk through your neighborhood and local parks and pick up trash (wearing gloves).
- Watch an environmental movie – animated or documentary – and make a movie night out of it. There are movies that fit every age bracket, from Madagascar and March of the Penguins to Our Planet and To The Arctic.
- Learn something new by doing some research about climate change and how you can help make a difference.
- Challenge yourself to be more environmentally friendly. Even something as simple as being diligent about separating recyclables from trash helps.
As part of our #AltecGives campaign, we had planned to celebrate Earth Day this year by organizing a beach cleanup day for our Laguna Hills team. But in light of the current stay-at-home order, we are making a donation to Orange County Coastkeeper whose mission is to protect the region’s water sources so they are swimmable, drinkable and fishable for present and future generations.
If you’d like to join Altec in making a donation, please visit their website. And contact us if you are interested in learning more about how your company can start your “Go Green” initiatives by going paperless with DocLink!