Join Our Team
You matter. Here at Altec, we care about our people.
Test Automation Engineer
An automation engineer should have great soft skills and technical skills because he/she should interact closely with other teams and implement certain processes for business or service automation.
A quality assurance automation engineer is expected to perform the following duties:
- Write clean, high-quality scripts that test product functionality automatically.
- Conduct various tests for systems, networks, applications, databases, software.
- Log and document errors in the tracking system.
- Identify specific cases that should be automated and discuss them with manual QA engineers.
- Develop the best automation solutions based on the clients’ requirements.
- Participate in sprint planning to define the sprint scope.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (developers, product marketing managers) to find ways on how automation can improve the workflow.
- Take part in brainstorms to come up with new ideas and designs that improve existing features.
- Cooperate with a development team to formulate the tasks and explain post-release user feedback.
Preferred Technical Skills:
A QA automation specialist should have a grasp of networks, hardware, web and desktop operating systems, obtain experience with robotics, analytics, AI. However, good technical skills are not always key when choosing a candidate for the position of an engineer, since a person can have all the answers, but won’t be able to get along with other team members and adapt to new processes. Thus, an ability to lead cross-departmental efforts, communicate with people with different technical backgrounds and experience levels is a must for a QA engineer. However, this list is not exhaustive, and below we will cover the basic technical and soft skills.
- Great coding skills (Java, Python, SQL).
- Solid skills in framework design.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of QA methodology. A QA automation engineer should be well versed in manual and automated testing.
- Understanding HTML, CSS.
- Experience in CI and CD.
- Proficient in using various tools, such as Maven, Selenium, JUnit.
- This quality allows the specialist to get to the root of the problem and develop flawless tests.
An ability to communicate and collaborate
- A true professional always checks his ego at the door and understands that a successful picture is made of the expertise of all team members, including developers, product managers, executives. Besides, an engineer should be able to logically express his thoughts and convey his point of view to other team members.
- A QA automation engineer should step into the shoes of the end-user to understand how the product is expected to perform.
- The introduction of new requirements, the adjustment of deadlines, the extension or reduction of a team are common changes in a project. A true professional should be able to adapt to the new environment to become a strong player.
Eagerness to learn
- Professionals must continually expand their skills as organizations require QA automation engineers who are experts at what they know but also keep up with the latest trends and constantly evolve. If you want to stay at the top of the game, constant learning is key.
Knowledge of development methodologies
- An experienced QA engineer should be familiar with Scrum, Agile development methodologies and be able to work within a specific system.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of automation testing of software products and web/mobile applications using the structured testing methodology.
- At least 3 years of experience with automated testing tools.
- Intermediate level in using specific programming languages (Java, Python, C#).
- Deep knowledge of CSS, HTML, XML, and XPath.
- Great communication skills: an ability to find a common language with all team members.
- Analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, the ability to see the root of the problem and come up with efficient, creative, and cost-effective solutions