On Earth Day, Altec Celebrate Our Forests Through #AltecGives
As a document management company, our focus is helping companies get rid of all their paper and take everything digital. It’s our business, it’s what we do, but we are also ecologically minded and know that, as a planet, our resources are limited. Deforestation continues to decimate our planet’s greenery. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), an estimated 18 million acres (7.3 million hectares) of forest are lost each year.
Fast Forest Facts (from the website Conserve Energy Future):
- Trees are important constituents of the ecosystem by absorbing carbon. Tropical forests, where deforestation is most prevalent, hold more than 210 gigatonnes of carbon.
- The rate of deforestation equals to loss of 20 football fields every minute.
- 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced in the Amazon forest.
- Up to 28,000 species are expected to become extinct by the next quarter of the century due to deforestation.
- 25% of cancers fighting organisms are found in the amazon
One of the primary ways to stop deforestation and protect our planet is to stop printing. So many companies are making a digital transformation by going paperless and we hope to help many more with this process, but we know it takes time. So to help restore our forests and celebrate Planet Earth, Altec has made a donation to the National Forest Foundation which has undertaken the ambitious effort to plant 50 million trees across our National Forests by 2023.
So if you’d like to plant a tree, or two or many more, join Altec in celebrating Earth Day this weekend and support this worthwhile cause.